Re: Infinite universe

From: Eliezer S. Yudkowsky (sentience@pobox.com)
Date: Mon Apr 28 2003 - 14:13:38 MDT

Perry E. Metzger wrote:

> BTW, Einstein's intuition about Quantum Mechanics turns out to have
> been completely wrong -- which resulted in his wasting a lot of the
> last years of his life.

If many-worlds is correct, Einstein will turn out to have been absolutely
right. It seems like a good bet that if Einstein were alive today, he
would be an advocate of many-worlds generally and the Everett-DeWitt
equation specifically. I say this not as an Argument From Imaginary
Authority, but simply a guess based on what I understand of Einstein's
historical outlook and personality. Julian Barbour, who seems to have
inherited Einstein's mode of thinking, is definitely an advocate of
many-worlds.

(Poor Julian Barbour. He probably could have done Einstein's job, but
unfortunately Einstein already did it. Alas, for every Einstein or Newton
there are probably hundreds of anonymous world-class geniuses who don't
happen to run across a sufficiently interesting problem.)