Re: Infinite universe

From: Eliezer S. Yudkowsky (sentience@pobox.com)
Date: Sun Apr 27 2003 - 13:42:37 MDT

Ben Goertzel wrote:

> It's easy to hypothesize a bunch of possible worlds different from our
> own -- but are they hypothetical or are they "real"? What does "real"
> actually mean?
>
> As a Peircean pragmatist, my question is: What measurement could I make,
> whose result would come out differently if these other universe existed,
> versus if they did not exist?

Any Process which contains you up until this point, or Bayesia up until
this point, *not* with a hands-off condition, affects your future
subjective probabilities because you might turn out to be living there -
you cannot distinguish Bens in "interventionist simulations" from Bens in
"top-level Bayesia" or "hands-off simulated Bayesia". "You" are a pointer
state that refers to all the hubble volumes, universes, quantum branches,
simulations, and Processes that have faithfully computed Ben Goertzel up
to this point.