Re: Infinite universe

From: Simon Gordon (sim_dizzy@yahoo.com)
Date: Sun Apr 27 2003 - 11:02:53 MDT

 --- "Perry E. Metzger" <perry@piermont.com> wrote: >

> All formal systems are expressable as finite strings
> of symbols (by
> definition), and thus trivially mappable to
> integers. QED.

Thanks Perry, thats all i need to know. Clearly i want
my systems to be a little more generic than just
formal systems because of set-theory-envy, if set
theory has uncountable sets why cant the set of all
primitive entities be uncountable? Or even infinite to
the same extent as the set of all sets is infinite

> It is literally the set of all formal systems,
> because it is the set
> of all consistent mathematical systems.

I consider formal systems to be a subset of the set of
consistent mathematical systems but you have equated
them.

> Of course, if you're going to bring things down to
> the level of "set"
> you start getting into a much deeper problem. "Sets"
> don't
> interact.

Exactly. Sets dont interact, thats why they make such
good self-contained entities and can be thought of as
"universes".

> And if you were willing to accept that we aren't in
> a universe and
> move on to "sets" as your fundamental universes,
> what sort of set
> theory are you going to adopt as "fundamental"?
> After all, in some set
> theories, you get the axiom of choice, in some you
> don't. In some, the
> continuum hypothesis is an axiom, in some it isn't.
> The list goes on
> and on.

Axioms are not something i worry about too much: they
are decided by the anthropic principle. But in the
broader context there are "all possible set theories"
and so its just a matter of selecting which one we are
in.

> Sets, you see, aren't as primitive as formal systems
> at all, even
> though they are much less powerful, just as integers
> aren't as
> primitive as formal systems although they are much
> less powerful.

I dont get this. If sets are a subset of the set of
all formal systems why are there more sets than there
are formal systems. Surely the most primitive entities
are also the most numerous.

Simon.

Yahoo! Plus
For a better Internet experience