Re: expansion of the universe; infinity of "level 1"

From: Thomas R Mazanec (tmazanec1@juno.com)
Date: Thu Apr 24 2003 - 11:26:46 MDT

On Mon, 21 Apr 2003 23:12:42 +0100 geodesicallyincomplete@warpmail.net
writes:

> So while, say, a world much like Middle-Earth really exists in this
> theory, it (and you) will have secondlawed to oblivion by the time
> you
> can get there. :-)

I have always seemed to know that if the universe is infinite,
with an infinite number of stars, than there is an infinite number
of planets duplicating the Earth to any desired degree of precision...
down to an infinite number of "Tom Mazanecs" indistinguishable from
myself on the atomic scale (I had some strange looks trying to point
this out to people when I was in high school :-)).
But I always thought that, while it is impossible to write fiction,
it is possible to write fantasy. Thus, while an infinite number of
dark worlds where Hitler won the war exist, there are none where
Sauron won his war. Was I wrong? Is there really an Inuyasha
and Tegome in some alternate Japan a google megaparsecs away?
Somewhere out there, I know Robin Hood is actually fighting the
Sheriff of Nottingham, but is Sonic fighting Dr. Robotnik?
I am not trying to be sarcastic, I am trying to understand what this
theory
means for what can (and therefore must exist). An infinite number
of Tom Sawyers and Sherlock Holmses of course, but an infinite
number of Bugs Bunnys and Woody Woodpeckers?
(not that such a thought would be emotionally unpleasant to me...
if anything, just the opposite).