RE: expansion of the universe (was Re: JOIN [sl4]: Hello, I'm Mercy.)

From: mike99 (mike99@lascruces.com)
Date: Fri Apr 18 2003 - 14:16:48 MDT

The currently favored explanation for this is Alan Guth's theory of cosmic
inflation, whereby space itself expanded very rapidly (i.e., faster than
light speed) in the first fraction of a second after the Big Bang.
Guth discusses his theory with cosmologist Lee Smolin at
http://www.edge.org/documents/ThirdCulture/y-Ch.16.html

Michael LaTorra