Re: Me, Myself, and I (was: Rationalizing Suffering)

From: Emil Gilliam (emil@emilgilliam.com)
Date: Thu Apr 03 2003 - 00:25:14 MST

On Wednesday, April 2, 2003, at 03:28 PM, Eliezer S. Yudkowsky wrote:

> No. I am reasonably certain that fictionally imagined characters
> don't have qualia. I'm in really, really deep trouble if they do.

As it happens, I am just about to publish a novel, "Permutated Fishy",
which will be sure to *captivate* you (if I may be so immodest)! I
present an excerpt for the enjoyment of SL4 readers:

" ... and only _then_ did Bob's twenty-seven billion, three hundred
sixty-eight million, five hundred thirty-three thousand, six hundred
ninety-ninth neuron depolarize, as a result of the dendritic inputs it
had recently received from his one hundred and ten billion, four
hundred eight million, seventy-one thousand, two hundred eighty-first
neuron, and his two hundred and one billion ... "

Intrigued? Here's the jacket blurb:

"Master of descriptive fiction Emil Gilliam retells an age-old tale of
pain, rejection and humiliation as never told before! The hapless Bob
has just been slapped on the head with a trout by an enigmatic woman
known only as Alice. As the milliseconds tick, this
action-potential-packed thriller grippingly explores Bob's dark Oedipal
impulses of anger, lust and hunger, neuron by neuron. Does Bob have
qualia? Does Alice? Does the trout? And can anyone at all mention
'qualia' in an SL4 thread without officially killing it? Join Bob on an
amazing journey all the way to the electrifying, heart-pounding,
jaw-clenching end ... *if you dare*."

Soon to be available wherever such books are sold.

- Emil Gilliam