Re: SI Uploads, Fast-forward, was : Collapsarity

From: Eliezer S. Yudkowsky (sentience@pobox.com)
Date: Wed Mar 26 2003 - 11:10:13 MST

Paul Hughes wrote:
> --- "Eliezer S. Yudkowsky" <sentience@pobox.com> wrote:
>>
>> That is not "rescue". That is the same tragedies on fast-forward.
>> It would not seem to be helpful in any way.
>
> Eli,
>
> Could you please clarify this position? Why would you consider an SI
> uploading us into their domain a tragedy, and what is fast-forward??

I would consider an SI uploading us into their domain, and then leaving
events on Earth completely untouched, a "tragedy" to exactly the same
degree that those events would be a tragedy wherever they occurred.
Medieval torture chamber inside an SI, medieval torture chamber outside an
SI, it makes no difference. A medieval torture chamber running in faster
processing time is the same tragedy in fast-forward, like the fast-forward
button on your VCR or DVD or whatever. At least it's fast-forward from an
external perspective; internally, of course, it's the same computation.