Recent visual system research

From: Emil Gilliam (emil@emilgilliam.com)
Date: Sun Mar 16 2003 - 04:20:47 MST

Yay, more PR-speak -- but it might be worth finding the actual articles
behind these blurbs:

"The brain is constantly compromising as it pieces together
information, often ignoring or downplaying small visual changes in the
world that do not fit with its expectations. This process - far from
being flawed - shows that the brain functions optimally, say University
of Toronto researchers."

    http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2003-03/uot-cin030303.php

"Earlier studies in our lab had shown the visual system that gives us
the conscious experience of a coffee cup sitting on our desk isn’t the
same one that guides our hand to pick it up," says Mel Goodale, Canada
Research Chair in Visual Neuroscience and professor in the Departments
of Psychology and Physiology & Pharmacology at Western. "Our new
research shows these two brain systems deal with incoming visual
information in fundamentally different ways."

    http://comms.uwo.ca/media/archives/releases/2002/may_aug/august14.htm