Re: "and then a singularity happens"

From: Mitchell Porter (mitchtemporarily@hotmail.com)
Date: Tue Jan 07 2003 - 19:20:27 MST

>So you've taken that first step on the way to Jupiter Brain status: you've
>converted your brain to software or nano-neurons, or perhaps merely
>transferred it to a bigger `skull' (vat?) with room to grow.
>
>Er, what next? I've seen little if any writing on this. You can't simply
>reenact your childhood growth, because that growth was directed toward a
>specific design: the one you're trying to transcend.
>
>Do you add neurons at random, hoping that they'll arrange themselves
>usefully without costing too much in noise?

Consider how a self-enhancing *AI* is supposed to get the job done. It's a
collection
of specialized modules, and the enhancements consist of (i) enhancements to
individual
modules, (ii) addition of new modules, (iii) enhancements to inter-modular
cooperation.
Substitute "neuroanatomical function" for "module", and you have a sketch of
how
human self-enhancement might proceed. But the AI has the advantage of being
able
to read its own documentation.

http://join.msn.com/?page=dept/dialup