Re: Multiple Future Bens

From: Jef Allbright (jef@jefallbright.net)
Date: Mon Dec 23 2002 - 08:57:24 MST

Something that concerns me about almost all futuristic scenarios is the
emphasis on personal identity. It seems that even the most forward thinkers
are limited to imagining the addition of advanced capabilities to our
existing concept of self.

The currently popular sense of self is an illusion, and will be upgraded
along with the hardware that tends to maintain the illusion.

I think we'll see a transition period where people will augment their bodies
and minds with technological add-ons, but this will be just a stepping stone
to a broader and deeper understanding of "mind" that will discard the
current emphasis on hedonism and personal identity, and adopt a more
goal-directed behavior and networked identity.

What goals? I have tentative and general ideas on this, but really can not
presume to know what such a consciousness would choose.

- Jef