RE: Chess and Go study

From: Alejandro Dubrovsky (s328940@student.uq.edu.au)
Date: Sun Dec 15 2002 - 08:45:40 MST

On Mon, 2002-12-16 at 00:46, Gary Miller wrote:

> Although Samuel's Checkers program and Tsauro's Backgammon program were
> able to learn to play optimal games by experience. I have not read of a
> chess program that was capable of truly learning the game and being any
> good at it in this same manner.

KnightCap (http://samba.org/KnightCap/) . Very similar methodology to
TD-gammon (derivation work modifying TD for minimax trees called
TD-leaf). Didn't achieve the same level of success that TD-Gammon did
but it did (and still does) reasonably well (2200 or so on FICS).
Unlike TD-Gammon, it's GPLed. Couple of other programs out there doing
TD-leaf too.
alejandro