RE: Chess and Go study

From: Ben Goertzel (ben@goertzel.org)
Date: Sat Dec 14 2002 - 12:56:56 MST

> >> "The board games chess and GO take practice, not intellect, brain
> scans
> >> of players suggest. Intelligence areas appear inactive when people
> >> puzzle over game strategy."

This has just *got* to be rubbish!

Two things immediately occur to me:

1) Gee, I guess we don't have that fine-grained an understanding of where
the "intelligence areas" are yet.

2) There are a lot of different aspects of intelligence. When playing speed
chess, for instance, it might be true that not that much "deep thinking"
activity is going on during the game. But the thinking activity has gone on
beforehand, creating the knowledge that's being accessed during play. The
thinking has gone on during prior games, during reading about chess and
studying games, and unconsciously at various times during waking and
sleep...

-- Ben G