Re: OT: Fritz charade silliness

From: Dani Eder (danielravennest@yahoo.com)
Date: Tue Oct 08 2002 - 13:02:02 MDT

--- Tomaz Kristan <me2icq@icqmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 08 October 2002, Alejandro Dubrovsky wrote:
>
> > It's running on an 8-way, 900MHz PIII-Xeon.
> > That's about as fast a PC as you can get
> nowadays.
>
> For a small fraction of the prize, a much better PC
> is available. Or even a small network of them. Fritz
> program supports the network.
>
> > What exactly is your complaint?
>
> That the hardware is (intentionally?) weak, to prove
> "the human supremacy". Or something alike.
>
> - Thomas

On the contrary, Deep Blue was a custom-made, very
expensive machine, and it barely beat the world
champion. If in the intervening years we have
reached the point that a mid-size off the shelf
server can give the world champion a run for his
money, that's just demonstrating Moore's law in
operation.

Daniel