Re: Kramnik - Fritz joke

From: James Rogers (jamesr@best.com)
Date: Tue Oct 08 2002 - 08:30:44 MDT

On Tue, 2002-10-08 at 01:19, Tomaz Kristan wrote:
> Why a charade? While Deep Blue in its duel with Kasparov, has checked
> up to a billion moves per second, Fritz is running on a hardware which
> permits only 3.5 million checks per second. Despite the fact, this
> program could use much more computing power easily available today,
> it's prevented to.

I would point out that "checks" is a meaningless measure of capability
in this case. Differences in algorithmic efficiency could easily close
that gap such that Fritz is more capable than Deep Blue, even with a
smaller number of "checks". I don't know that this is the case, but it
is perfectly plausible.

-James Rogers
 jamesr@best.com