RE: Pre-Singularity human enlightenment

From: mike99 (mike99@lascruces.com)
Date: Mon Sep 23 2002 - 14:55:10 MDT

First of all, I must apologize to Samantha if I seemed to imply that the
kind of cheerleading she (and Eliezer) do is in any way, shape or form
similar to the emotionally exploitative and effectively negative type of
"cheerleading" I criticized. I was warning against anyone at all going to
that extreme, not indicating that anyone on this list would do so. I regret
any misunderstanding, and assume the fault is my own for not being more
clear.

Second, I think that brain mapping, whether by means of the 122-SQUID
neuromagnetometer mentioned by Samantha or some similar device, would only
achieve maximal value if it is portable and convenient enough to be
worn/used during normal everyday activities. It's only in those
situations--not lying inside a massive ring of superconducting magnets or
lugging a liquid helium cooled device--that we normally experience the
mental/emotional events that cause us to think and act irrationally. We need
the feedback in real-time and in real-life. Furthermore, as Dr. Persinger
has discovered, we may be neurologically affected by low-level magnetic
fields in our environment which can influence our mental states in important
ways. We need to roam in order to see how and where this happens.

Finally, the reason why I believe that ubiquitous computing and
high-bandwidth wireless will be important for successful Earthweb/collective
filtering is that participants must be able to access the online action
anywhere, anytime. This should virtually eliminate problems of latency. It
should also establish a level playing field for timely input, thus avoiding
the time-bias that would occur if some participants were able to sit at
their computers all day, while others were forced by work and other
requirements to be offline for many hours per day. Of course, current
limited access does not prevent Earthweb/collective filtering from
occurring, it merely slows and skews the results in favor of input from
certain players. As we accelerate toward the Singularity, such a bias would
become more and more apparent.

Michael LaTorra