RE: continuity of self [ was META: Sept. 11 and Singularity]

From: Ben Goertzel (ben@goertzel.org)
Date: Fri Sep 20 2002 - 20:17:17 MDT

> On Fri, 2002-09-20 at 17:06, Ben Goertzel wrote:
> > Just look at the nature of public school systems. Most people
> working in
> > the public school systems really care about kids, and are "good
> people" who
> > care about good education... but yet the school systems as a whole often
> > acts to oppose good education. For instance, the teachers' union fights
> > against charter schools, pays legislators to burden charter school
> > legislation with bureaucratic counterproductive nonsense, etc.
>

> The problem with your example is that the system artificially behaves
> this way. The poor results of the school system are the direct
> unintended consequences of the laws and regulations that education
> currently happens under. You are assuming the value of a premise that
> is itself the problem.

I don't understand your distinction between "natural" and "artificial"
social subsystems.

Your statement reminds me of the common Libertarian assumption that the
state and the government are some kind of parasitic excrescence that can
just be scraped off the surface of a society that functions essentially
without them.

Rather, I think the government and its actions are integral parts of a
highly complex system (which has strengths and weaknesses), and that
institutions and social patterns implemented by the government are the
"natural" and "organic" consequences of deeper social forces. Governmental
systems evolve by largely the same patterns as nongovernmental social
institutions.

In my statement, I was not assuming anything about the "value" of public
school systems. That is a deep topic unto itself, which your historical
analysis didn't fully address, because back in the 1800's when public
schools were started, the existing private school system didn't really deal
with the issue of educating lower-income kids. The current debate over
privatization of schools, centers around effects on lower-income kids; I
think it's more widely accepted that upper-income kids (the only kind who
went to school way back when) would fare at least as well under a privatized
education system. (Personally, I am in favor of the voucher system, but
that argument would take us too far from SL4 topics).

I was merely giving an example of Cliff's point: that changing the minds of
people is even MORE difficult than it would be otherwise, because the social
institutions in which they're involved enforce a kind of conservatism.

The sad fact is, the social institutions that have persevered and flourished
are in large part not the ones with the greatest positive benefits for
humans, but rather the ones that have done best at surviving and
multiplying. Straightforward evolutionary logic.

This pattern can be seen throughout history. Look at the history of
Christianity (to introduce another controversial topic). In the 200 years
after the birth of Christ, there were dozens of interesting gnostic
Christian sects, many of which were nonsexist, egalitarian, and oriented
toward individual spiritual/mental exploration. Which of these sects
survived and eventually dominated? The one that grew into Catholicism?
Why? Largely, because its authoritarian and dogmatic structure was more
amenable to "franchising".... It was better at propagating itself than its
"competitors."

Generally, authoritarianism and dogmatism (characteristics of the public
schools system as well as the Catholic church) seem to grant institutions
with a lot of survival value.... Flexible, egalitarian organizations seem
more prone to dissolve. Modern parliamentary democratic systems occupy an
interesting middle ground, and obviously have achieved some survival value.

It may be that the Net and other modern communication systems can change
this dynamic somewhat. Looser forms of organization, like the
much-discussed Linux team, have demonstrated a fair bit of staying power.
If modern communication tech can allow different sorts of social structures
to survive and flourish, this may make a really big difference in human
psychology and sociology. So far, the verdict is not in on this point,
really....

To an extent, we are relying on these recent, tech-driven trends
organizational structure within the Novamente team -- which is a physically
widely distributed organization, with a central core that is a traditional
software development team, and another group of broadly distributed
communicators not organized in a traditional manner...

-- Ben