Re[2]: Metarationality (was: JOIN: Alden Streeter)

From: Cliff Stabbert (cps46@earthlink.net)
Date: Mon Aug 26 2002 - 02:24:45 MDT

Monday, August 26, 2002, 3:49:57 AM, Eliezer S. Yudkowsky wrote:

ESY> Cliff Stabbert wrote:

  CS> OK, so everything contains or represents or ends up representing
  CS> Rationality as you define it,

ESY> Not *everything*. Just everything that *works* - including, but
ESY> not limited to, everything that nonaccidentally accomplishes any
ESY> kind of evolutionary, moral, or cognitive purpose. I don't know
ESY> that the universe is constructed such that everything tends to
ESY> contain more and more of the Force (rationality) as time goes on.
ESY> John Smart might argue this; I'm not. I'm just saying that
ESY> wherever something *does* work, nonaccidentally, it's because the
ESY> Force (rationality) is at work.

OK, this clears a lot of my confusion over your point up. What you
call manifestations of Rationality, in this context, I would call
manifestions of Mindness. I suspect, as apparently John Smart might,
that things do tend towards more complex and "interesting" systems of
feedback loops -- i.e., tend towards Mindness -- over time.

--
Cliff