Re[2]: Metarationality (was: JOIN: Alden Streeter)

From: Cliff Stabbert (cps46@earthlink.net)
Date: Mon Aug 26 2002 - 01:17:10 MDT

Monday, August 26, 2002, 1:37:34 AM, Eliezer S. Yudkowsky wrote:

ESY> Cliff Stabbert wrote:
>>
>> I think Eliezer is saying that Mind manifests throughout the universe
>> -- all complex systems tending towards Mindness over time.

ESY> No, that statement would not be rational. I.e., its support would consist
ESY> of the pleasure generated by contemplating it, rather than evidence. The
ESY> pleasure generated by contemplating it is not "evidence" because we have
ESY> no reason to believe that this statement is pleasurable to contemplate
ESY> only in those possible universes where it is true. Ergo, under the
ESY> Bayesian Probability Theorem, the self-observation of the comfort
ESY> generated by this statement is not evidence about the statement's truth or
ESY> untruth in external reality.

OK, so everything contains or represents or ends up representing
Rationality as you define it,
- which is not the same as Mindness as I use it because ...
- and your point about pleasurability not constituting evidence for
  Mindness does not apply to Rationality because ...

If you could fill in the blanks, I'd appreciate it.

--
Cliff