Re: Re[6]: Metarationality (was: JOIN: Alden Streeter)

From: Gordon Worley (redbird@rbisland.cx)
Date: Sun Aug 25 2002 - 15:04:19 MDT

On Sunday, August 25, 2002, at 04:08 PM, Cliff Stabbert wrote:

> Our bodies and minds represent millions years of *successful*
> evolution. We are, after all, the ones who made it.

Evolution only has to be successful enough. It does not have to find
the right answer. Furthermore, evolution has created less than optimal
animals. A classic example is that all vertebrates can choke. This
never evolved out, though, because choking didn't cause enough problems
for any alternate solutions to win. A non choking vertebrate would be
better than the current ones, but evolution didn't produce them.

> do (not yet having read about your approach to AI).

I do not have an approach to AI. I defer to Eliezer on that one.

--
Gordon Worley                     `When I use a word,' Humpty Dumpty
http://www.rbisland.cx/            said, `it means just what I choose