Re: Re[4]: Metarationality (was: JOIN: Alden Streeter)

From: Gordon Worley (redbird@rbisland.cx)
Date: Sun Aug 25 2002 - 13:50:42 MDT

On Sunday, August 25, 2002, at 03:29 PM, Ben Goertzel wrote:

> Stepping outside the mind, and taking an objectivist perspective, one
> can
> ask whether a mind acts approximately rationally relative to the
> universal
> set U of the actual universe. This is a different question. What
> you'll
> find is that minds act *more* approximately rationally relative to the
> U's
> that it constructs based on its experience, than based on the
> universe's U.
> Because our knowledge is finite, and this finitude affects our
> probabilistic
> inferences in concrete & quantitative ways...

I think this is a good explanation for why I'm pursuing enlightenment,
since this sounds very similar to what might be thought of as obtaining
the Tao. A person who is enlightened might be thought of as a person
who knows U.

--
Gordon Worley                     `When I use a word,' Humpty Dumpty
http://www.rbisland.cx/            said, `it means just what I choose