RE: Metarationality (was: JOIN: Alden Streeter)

From: Ben Goertzel (ben@goertzel.org)
Date: Sat Aug 24 2002 - 07:37:46 MDT

Gordon wrote (to Samantha):
> > I don't distrust rationality. I distrust the near-worship of
> > rationality as if it were more than it is.
>
> I think you view rationality very differently from the way I or Eliezer
> do. As I stated, rationality is not just a tool for thinking, but a way
> of thinking. This may be the hardest thing to accept without becoming
> rational yourself, since there is nothing in human thought to suggest
> that there is a higher level system.

Firstly, Gordon, I would like to invite you to define or describe what you
mean by "rationality" as clearly as you can.

Secondly, I think everyone understands that rationality is a way of
thinking.

What Samantha and I seem to both be arguing, is that there are large and
useful portions of the brain which this particular way of thinking does not
engage. And there are other, complementary, nonrational ways of thinking
that are also highly worthwhile.

 -- Ben G