Re: Why do we seek to transcend ourselves?

From: Gordon Worley (redbird@rbisland.cx)
Date: Thu Jul 25 2002 - 07:13:07 MDT

On Thursday, July 25, 2002, at 10:30 AM, Michael Roy Ames wrote:

> i) if a biological being lives eternally, then the gene is 'stuck',
> frozen
> in one form of expression... a genetic dead-end. Is that then the
> purpose
> of genes: to find their terminus condition?

Genes want to keep living. The only reason for reproduction is that,
currently, we can't find a way to live forever. Animals and plants die,
so if a gene is going to continue, the only option is to make something
new that contains it. Of course, this doesn't work out quite the way
the gene would like it to, and it gets mutated and merge with other
genes.

> ii) if a biological being transforms itself into another substrate
> (silicon?) then genetics is left behind. Genetics would then become a
> minor
> historical fact rather than a central mechanism of the human body.

Sure, but how would your genes know that. You've been programmed to
maximize the existence of your genes. If you suddenly didn't have genes
anymore, until you change your mind you'll still be a result of genetic
programming.

If you're going to use eternal life or any other genetically inspired
reason to transcend, you have to give really good reasons why it's still
a good reason regardless of genetics, such that we don't think you're
rationalizing.

--
Gordon Worley                     `When I use a word,' Humpty Dumpty
http://www.rbisland.cx/            said, `it means just what I choose