Re: FAI means no programmer-sensitive AI morality

From: Samantha Atkins (samantha@objectent.com)
Date: Wed Jul 17 2002 - 15:37:36 MDT

Eliezer S. Yudkowsky wrote:

> Because their morality calls for a respect for human destiny which is
> incompatible with the hijacking of that destiny by any individual, or
> group, or for that matter transient civilization?

I am unclear on what is intended by the phrase "human destiny"
and what is not intended. My guess is that it means things like
human self-determination and other rights adhering to sentient
creatures. Of course this leaves open what these rights are,
how conflicts between various right holders are resolved,
whether some sentients have more rights and/or responsibilities
than others, how violations of rights are dealt with or avoided,
and so on. Or did you mean something more along the lines of
humans working out their own destiny, perhaps with severe limits
on the SAI's "interference"?

- samantha