RE: Why do we seek to transcend ourselves?

From: Damien Broderick (d.broderick@english.unimelb.edu.au)
Date: Tue Jul 16 2002 - 10:08:44 MDT

At 09:07 AM 7/16/02 -0600, Ben wrote:

>Damien, you're right, "primitive" is not a politically correct word these
>days, but I forget what the currently preferred term is.

Aw, dang, you hit me with the invincible `PC-charge' stick, so I'm dead as
a doornail and nobody ever need listen to anything I say ever again.

I'm beginning to think that `PC' should join `Nazi' as an adjunct to
Godwin's Law.

>I did not mean the word "primitive" as a value judgment, but as an
>indication that the technologies and general culture patterns of these
>groups are those that other groups of humans abandoned long ago.

I felt sure that you didn't. It's just that using it in that context is a
vestige of primitive rhetoric that other groups of humans abandoned long
ago. :)

Damien Broderick