Re: AI-Box Experiment 2: Yudkowsky and McFadzean

From: Gordon Worley (redbird@rbisland.cx)
Date: Tue Jul 16 2002 - 09:05:32 MDT

On Tuesday, July 16, 2002, at 10:24 AM, Gordon Worley wrote:

> Q: So, does intelligence equal wisdom?
>
> A: It has become cliché on SL4 to say that intelligence does not equal
> wisdom. Many of us have been well aware of this for quite some time.
> Please, avoid pointing this out unless the alternative is being drawn
> and quartered (and maybe not even then). This is also a rather silly
> thing to say, since for all you know greater intelligence *does* equal
> greater wisdom. With humans we get the opinion that the two are
> uncorrelated, but the sample is too small to make non trivial factual
> statements about greater intelligences (aside from the errors of
> extrapolation).

A small correction. The above sounds like I'm contradicting myself,
since I first claim to know that intelligence does not equal wisdom and
then go on to say that we don't know if that's the case. So, to
clarify, the second sentence should read more along the lines of "Many
of us have been well aware that human intelligence does not necessarily
equate to human wisdom for quite some time.".

--
Gordon Worley                     `When I use a word,' Humpty Dumpty
http://www.rbisland.cx/            said, `it means just what I choose