Re[6]: The dumb SAI and the Semiautomatic Singularity

From: Cliff Stabbert (cps46@earthlink.net)
Date: Mon Jul 08 2002 - 17:25:06 MDT

Monday, July 8, 2002, 4:03:29 PM, Tomaz Kristan wrote:

TK> The list of all medical situationa is huge. But finite.
[snip]
TK> The list of all possible first aid actions is also finite.

So you claim. I beg to differ. If your simulation, or whatever, is
based on physics, and if even a single atom can be in an infinity of
states (positions, electron spin, whatever degrees of freedom quarks
have, etc.) -- then where do the limiting factors come in?

Even if the list of situations is finite, evaluating them (so you can
sort) could still be NP-hard. And *that's* presuming that any sort of
"objective" evaluation, separate from the context, separate from the
specific person and their exact genetic and molecular configuration,
separate from human prejudices about medicine and medical treatments,
is even possible in principle.

I think you're overconfident of the ability of standard computational
techniques to solve problems. Do you program? Have you tried
tackling the Traveling Salesman problem? Solve that, and I might be
more convinced ;)

--
Cliff