Re: How hard a Singularity?

From: Gordon Worley (redbird@rbisland.cx)
Date: Thu Jul 04 2002 - 08:27:08 MDT

On Thursday, July 4, 2002, at 09:59 AM, James Higgins wrote:

>> Besides, I assert there's no such thing as free will and it's just an
>> illusion of the interpreter, but that's another thread.
>
> Of course there is free will, at least on the individual level.

I'm not trying to say that the Universe is deterministic (it may or may
not be and it seems to depend on whatever our current TOE is), but more
so that "you" (what you think of as being your unique selfness) don't
make any choices, it's your brain choosing that then fills "you" in a
few milliseconds later. This isn't a very widely held view, for sure,
but I think that the evidence points to this model of `volition'.

--
Gordon Worley                     `When I use a word,' Humpty Dumpty
http://www.rbisland.cx/            said, `it means just what I choose