RE: Seed AI (was: How hard a Singularity?)

From: Stephen Reed (reed@cyc.com)
Date: Tue Jul 02 2002 - 08:42:44 MDT

On Tue, 2 Jul 2002, Lee Corbin wrote:

> I'm pretty sure that Cyc's goal has been for a long time to be
> able to read random newspapers, stories, and net info. It's
> probably the common urge (as it would be with me) to first get
> the program capable of understanding, and only then to permit
> it to affect the world. And, of course, before taking that
> last giant step, implementing friendliness would be necessary.

Cycorp has as a metric of knowledge representation and natural language
processing: Cyc's (future) ability to parse logical assertions from
popular text and then to competently answer questions about what was read.

Highly automated knowledge acquisition by Cyc could follow from the ability
to read text.

After studying CFAI I am now convinced that a deliberative goal system
implemented in Cyc must incorporate Friendship principles before driving
the automatic acquisition of knowledge in a self-improvement loop.

Cyc's progress with reading text to-date is driven by a human operator,
who engages Cyc in a clarification dialog for knowledge acquisition.

> Your [Eliezer's] reordering of these priorities, if I understand you
> right, is most interesting, placing Friendliness first. I'll probably
> have to study your architecture to understand how friendliness
> could arise before understanding.

With Cyc the commonsense level of understanding is hand-entered - first.

-Steve

Stephen L. Reed                  phone:  512.342.4036
Cycorp, Suite 100                  fax:  512.342.4040
3721 Executive Center Drive      email:  reed@cyc.com
Austin, TX 78731                   web:  http://www.cyc.com
         download OpenCyc at http://www.opencyc.org