Re: Seed AI (was: How hard a Singularity?)

From: Gordon Worley (redbird@rbisland.cx)
Date: Mon Jul 01 2002 - 21:42:38 MDT

On Monday, July 1, 2002, at 11:21 PM, Lee Corbin wrote:

> Now *that* I understand! So wouldn't it make sense to *first* have
> an AI *understand* what many people have believed to be "moral" and
> "ethical" behavior---by reading the world's extensive literature---
> before attempting to engage in moral behavior, or even to try to
> empathize?

This seems like a reasonable way to start teaching these things. I'd be
interested in hearing from someone who has good knowledge of how humans
are educated, since my own memories are rather blurry and I'm no longer
being educated in the sense that we're discussing (though I do teach
myself quite a bit, but then maybe we always have to invent morals for
ourselves to adopt them and they never real take hold if they are only
pounded into us).

> P.S. Sorry that I have not been at all able to keep up with
> the numerous messages here lately.

I'm with you on that one. As I mentioned on IRC a few days ago, I think
that lately a lot of messages have lacked SL4 quality and deserve a good
old fashioned *bzzzzzt*.

--
Gordon Worley                     `When I use a word,' Humpty Dumpty
http://www.rbisland.cx/            said, `it means just what I choose