Re: Military Friendly AI

From: Stephen Reed (reed@cyc.com)
Date: Sat Jun 29 2002 - 22:24:04 MDT

Agreed this is a reasonable request. I'll keep this list up to date
regarding Cyc, and it will probably be obvious when (and if) Cyc is at
the point to trigger your safegards.

-Steve

On Sat, 29 Jun 2002, Brian Atkins wrote:
> Any project announcing that it is working on a "seed AI" type design
> with even tiny chance of self-improving takeoff should be willing and
> able to publicly post and defend a "social policy". This policy should
> at a minimum describe the following:
>
> 1. The project's experiment protocol, from the design of the AI to
> containment, etc. The works.
>
> 2. How this team plans to tackle the "long term Friendliness issue"
>
> 3. Anything else that I forgot
>
> This should all be available no later than 6 months before running full
> code so the public at least has a chance to counter with any perceived
> errors in the plan.

Stephen L. Reed                  phone:  512.342.4036
Cycorp, Suite 100                  fax:  512.342.4040
3721 Executive Center Drive      email:  reed@cyc.com
Austin, TX 78731                   web:  http://www.cyc.com
         download OpenCyc at http://www.opencyc.org