Re: Friendly Existential Wager

From: Eliezer S. Yudkowsky (sentience@pobox.com)
Date: Fri Jun 28 2002 - 14:27:51 MDT

James Higgins wrote:
> At 03:44 PM 6/28/2002 -0400, Eliezer S. Yudkowsky wrote:
>>
>> Actually, my philosophy differs from Ben's in that I think that you
>> need substantially more advance knowledge, in general, to bring any
>> kind of AI characteristic into existence, including Friendliness. From
>> Ben's perspective, this makes me arrogant; from my perspective, Ben's
>> reliance on emergence
>
> No, no, no, no, no. Statements like this make you appear immature. Your
> belief does NOT make you arrogant. Your unwavering confidence in that
> belief and inability to concede that others could be correct where you
> are wrong makes you arrogant.

My unwavering confidence exists only in your imagination.

My "inability to concede that others could be correct where I am wrong" is
phrased in such a way as to evoke a visualization of debate as a social
game. A better phrasing of this accusation would be "rejection of others'
ideas because they are others', rather than because negative evidence
outweighed positive evidence". But in any case that is also your imagination.

If you repeat these accusations indefinitely, it does not make them any more
true, and I hope that the readers on SL4 will read my writings and judge for
themselves rather than believing this accusation just because it has been
repeated often enough.