Re: Suicide by committee (was: How hard a Singularity?)

From: Michael Roy Ames (michaelroyames@hotmail.com)
Date: Thu Jun 27 2002 - 18:50:14 MDT

James Higgins wrote:
> Eliezer Y. wrote:
> >
> >CFAI is on the Web.
>
> ?
>
> Not certain how that relates to the point that more solutions to choose
> from and take ideas from would be better.

James: What Eliezer is implying when he writes: "CFAI is on the Web" is that
he has published his ideas and made them available for free, and has invited
criticism.

In a way, Eliezer has adopted your 'Advisory Committee' (AC) and done you
one better. He is asking anyone, anyone at all, to poke holes in the
design. Its like opening up the AC to the whole world, or at least those
who have web access and an interest in the Singularity... (sort of a
prerequisite I would imagine to saying something useful). Why would he do
this? Because there very well maybe some poor legless nerd in
Lesser-Albonia who understands the idea, and sees a problem... or better
yet: see a problem-solution pair, and would be happy-as-a-clam sending the
information to SIAI.

Michael Roy Ames