Re: How hard a Singularity?

From: James Higgins (jameshiggins@earthlink.net)
Date: Thu Jun 27 2002 - 10:53:33 MDT

At 01:50 AM 6/27/2002 -0700, Samantha Atkins wrote:
>Ben Goertzel wrote:
>
>>Remember -- in my proposal, this is an *advisory* group anyway, so it
>>wouldn't have real power over what an AGI's owner does with it.... How then
>>could it be suicidal?
>If it had much publicity, honor, clout or power all the above scenarios
>are distinctly possible given normal human politics. If the world takes it
>seriously at all it will have all of these and stiff political competition
>to get on the committee and conflicting agendas. I guarantee that the
>people (may their black little hearts be praised) and the politicians
>(whose even blacker hearts are generally damned) will not let the nerd
>only put super-nerds on a committee such as this.

For the record, THIS is why I wanted to avoid using the word
committee. Why would it need publicity? It wouldn't need to be any more
publicized than SIAI or this mailing list. And who cares if the World
takes it seriously, the only people who would need to take it seriously are
those doing SI research.

>>And I hope very much that, if *your* AGI design/engineering efforts bear
>>fruit and produce a near-human-level AGI, you *at that point* will have seen
>>the error of assuming that your AGI-creation prowess necessarily implies
>>your immense personal wisdom... and I hope that you will, at that point,
>>follow some methodology similar to what I've described.
>
>I still don't see how or where you are going to get this greater wisdom or
>how what you propose will produce a more safe and agreeable outcome. We
>are talking about the innovation to end all innovations here! We are
>talking about that which will turn every institution on Earth inside out
>and change everything forever for humankind. Where, on this earth, will
>you find the mind or minds who are ready to take on this responsibility
>and who have the right balance to carry it off. I have doubts that mind
>exists at all at this time. But if it does exist I don't expect to find
>it in a committee.

Actually, I'm not going to even bother to address this point (again)
because I've done it several times now.

James Higgins