Re: How hard a Singularity?

From: James Higgins (jameshiggins@earthlink.net)
Date: Wed Jun 26 2002 - 21:11:04 MDT

At 09:35 PM 6/26/2002 -0400, Eliezer S. Yudkowsky wrote:
>Ben Goertzel wrote:
> >
> > I think that, if the posited organization is going to exist, we need
> > someone to "head" it, and this shouldn't be me or Eliezer or anyone else
> > with their own AGI design and their own agenda to push.
>
>I do not endorse the existence of such an organization. However, if it
>existed I would expect Nick Bostrom to chair it - I honestly can't think
>of any other candidate for the position. (With respect to John Smart, I
>can't see him in such a position any more than I or Ben.)

You don't endorse the existence of an organization to promote the meme of
SI friendliness? Are you kidding? I thought that was YOUR ENTIRE
GOAL! Is this only ok if you are the one doing it?

>That said: This is a fucking stupid suicidal idea.

Well, alrighty then. Could you please clarify your point a bit? It sounds
like your reacting in a completely irrational manor, heavily influenced by
emotions. I don't see anything suicidal about promoting Friendliness in
regard to the Singularity or trying to ensure that the Singularity is
attempted in a reasonable and safe manor.

James Higgins