RE: Seed AI (was: How hard a Singularity?)

From: Ben Goertzel (ben@goertzel.org)
Date: Wed Jun 26 2002 - 11:22:13 MDT

Eliezer,

1) Your statement that "it is impossible to write a story about a character
smarter than you are" is clearly false, and rather odd.
Many authors have written good stories about characters smarter than they
are, and evoked this superior intelligence well. As a single example,
consider the sci-fi classic "Flowers for Algernon."

The statement "you can't write a character with a greater emotional maturity
than you possess" is even weirder, and also false. How about The Brothers
Karamazov for one among 100000 possible examples? Dostoevsky was, by all
accounts, a radically emotionally immature individual, yet he created
Alyosha Karamazov, a very believable and very emotionally mature young
man....

These comments of yours indicate to me that you have a VERY peculiar
perspective on human nature, and the nature of literature ;.>

2) No, my assessment of von Neumann as "more intelligent overall" than
Einstein was not based on shallow things like lightning calculation and
eidetic memory. It is based on a lot of reading about the lives and
intellectual interactions of both men, which however, I don't have time or
inclination to summarize right now.

-- Ben G