[spam score 3/10 -pobox] Re: How hard a Singularity?

From: James Higgins (jameshiggins@earthlink.net)
Date: Tue Jun 25 2002 - 21:43:32 MDT

At 08:01 PM 6/25/2002 -0700, Michael Roy Ames wrote:
>James Higgins wrote:
> >
> > Hey, if you want to take solo risks of falling though the floor, be my
> > guest. But when doing so could wipe out all life on earth, please
> > don't. If for no other reason than if you were to fall though the floor
> > there would be no one alongside to pickup the pieces and carry on (or
> > effectively do damage control)...
> >
> > I'd much rather get a few thousand of the brightest people on the planet
> > look at the floor for two years before you took that first step.
>
>I am absolutely positive that Eliezer agrees with you on this... else why
>would he have published his Friendly AI theories on the web? He obviously
>*wants* "the brightest people" to read and blast holes in his stuff, if they
>can. And to a certain extent this has happened (bright people have read it)
>and comments have been offerred. I don't think that a "thousand" of the
>brightest have read it.. but how would we get those kinds of people to spend
>the time to do a thourough job? Got any ideas?

Only that given more time there will be more interest. We have awhile
before the Singularity is likely to happen. The closer we get the more
people will be aware of, and hopefully open to, the Singularity. There
isn't much else I can think of that would help get more bright people to
seriously review the concept.

The trick, however, is in actually accepting and using that input when it
is offered. Taking any positive criticism seriously and adjusting for it
where appropriate. But I haven't seen much actual change based on others
input on this list. Maybe I'm just blind though (sometimes I do need to
get knocked over the head to notice things).

James Higgins