RE: Seed AI (was: How hard a Singularity?)

From: Ben Goertzel (ben@goertzel.org)
Date: Tue Jun 25 2002 - 08:52:22 MDT

Eugene wrote:
> I'm a bit at loss why most people here think you can just sit down, think
> briefly, introspect a little, and write down that very large vector. This
> is a lot like taking a core dump on the world. Without a lot of trial and
> error, what is the source of that knowledge?

This comment of course brings to mind the hackneyed yet apt comparison btw
birds and airplanes.

The guys who built the first airplanes didn't have to decode the genetic
code and epigenetic processes of birds to do it, did they? Yet planes fly
better than birds in many ways.

We're not trying to reverse-engineer human intelligence, we're trying to
engineer human-level intelligence (perhaps better than human intelligence in
some ways, and initially worse in others). A hard problem, but a different
one.

-- ben g