RE: How hard a Singularity?

From: Stephen Reed (reed@cyc.com)
Date: Sun Jun 23 2002 - 22:19:04 MDT

On Sat, 22 Jun 2002, Ben Goertzel wrote:

> The Cyc project comes close to the perspective you [Eliezer] cite, but
> that is not my project.

In my view, Cyc has developed a robust vocabulary for describing
commonsense situations. With a growing computational linguistics
capability, the time will come when Cyc can read, and sort out noisy
assertions by context.

Although far from a text --> logic parsing competence now, in the
future such a ability would in my opinion permit the bootstrapping of
human knowledge. In particular I would target human authored texts about:

1. linguistics - grammar, syntax, rhetoric, metaphor, semantics
(bootstrap)
2. algorithms - problem solving, programming, AI (bootstrap)
3. educational web sites - whose content is growing and diverse
4. (a dream) the IBM patent database portal, with full text of patent
applications. A patent must completely explain its principles to the lay
reader!

-Steve

Stephen L. Reed phone: 512.342.4036
Cycorp, Suite 100 fax: 512.342.4040