Re: QUES: CFAI +

From: Anand (trans_humanism@msn.com)
Date: Sun Jun 23 2002 - 14:30:07 MDT

Eliezer Yudkowsky wrote:

> Remember, however, that by the Law of Programmer Symmetry - if I may call
> it such - volition-based Friendliness is not the problem. The problem is
> coming up with a strategy such that if some other programming team follows
> it, their AI will eventually arrive at volition-based Friendliness [or
> something better] regardless of what their programmers started out
> believing. And to do that you have to pass along to the AI an
> understanding of how people argue about morality, in a semantics rich
> enough to represent all the structural properties thereof.

"The problem is coming up..." What knowledge do you, or what understanding
do we, presently lack to appropriately solve the specified problem?

> Anand wrote:
>
> > 01. Does CFAI argue for a set of panhuman characteristics that comprise
> > human moral cognition? If so, what characteristics do we have evidence
> > for, and what characteristics of human moral cognition will be
> > reproduced?
>
> CFAI argues that there exists *some* set of panhuman characteristics, but
> does not argue for a *specific* set of panhuman characteristics. The model
> of Friendliness learning is based on reasoning backward from observed
> specific humans to a systemic model of altruism which is grounded in
> panhuman characteristics (and, if necessary, social and memetic
> organizational processes). In other words, the idea is not that *you*, the
> programmer, know how to build a model of altruism which is
> programmer-independent, but that you, the programmer, know how to
> build an AI which can arrive at such a model, given sufficient
> intelligence, and can rely on the interim approximation represented by
> the ethics of several specific programmers, given insufficient
> intelligence.

Thank you for the response, but what evidence does cognitive science have
for panhuman characteristics that comprise moral cognition? If little or
zero evidence presently exists, then why have you chosen to argue in CFAI
"that there exists *some* set of panhuman characteristics"?

After reading your response, the following three questions also came to
mind:

01. What do you believe are the key dependencies of the theory of
Friendliness, and how may these dependencies become invalidated?

02. What knowledge or understanding do you likely presently lack to
successfully implement key aspects of Friendship structure?

03. What key conclusions would you like an individual to have arrived at
after reading CFAI?

Thanks in advance.

Best wishes,

Anand