RE: Seed AI (was: How hard a Singularity?)

From: Ben Goertzel (ben@goertzel.org)
Date: Sun Jun 23 2002 - 13:54:28 MDT

james wrote:
> Unfortunately, I believe that we don't
> understand the most basic & powerful thought patterns which are
> used by the
> human mind (because they are below the conscious level).

Right!

But, we do transmit them to other humans through interaction in appropriate
shared environments.

I think the same kind of implicit transmittal is going to be important for
the education of young AGI's...

[referring to eli, not me]
> You seem to frequently miss the fact that there is a vast difference
> between code and the system the code implements.

To intelligently modify its own code in the interest of greater
intelligence, an AGI will need a good understanding of some pretty advanced
math and CS. I think that human expert teachers can be a big help in
bringing the AGI up to speed on the relevant branches of math and CS.

Of course, after the Singularity, humans will be useless for this stuff, all
sorts of new AGI-pertinent branches of math and CS will have been
generated...

-- ben g