Re: How hard a Singularity?

From: Brian Atkins (brian@posthuman.com)
Date: Sun Jun 23 2002 - 12:18:33 MDT

Eugen Leitl wrote:

> On Sat, 22 Jun 2002, James Higgins wrote:
>
> > to get the Singularity in full force the more people die (that's my
> > interpretation of his vision, at least). Personally, I'd rather let a
> > few hundred thousand people die while making certain that the
> > Singularity won't just wipe everyone out. I mean, what's the point in
>
> I agree with this assessment.

Just a pedantic nitpick, but if Eugene gets his future where all countries
pass and perfectly enforce laws against AI development, and it therefore
takes at least 20 more years before we get some alternate Singularity
technology such as uploading, we are talking about quite a few more deaths
than a "few hundred thousand":

20 years * 365 days/year * 150k deaths/day = 1095 megadeaths

--
Brian Atkins
http://www.intelligence.org/