Re: Seed AI (was: How hard a Singularity?)

From: James Higgins (jameshiggins@earthlink.net)
Date: Sun Jun 23 2002 - 12:07:48 MDT

At 06:37 AM 6/23/2002 -0400, Eliezer S. Yudkowsky wrote:
>You think my design is too complex. Okay. Nonetheless, the more complex
>a design is, the more mind arises from the stuff that implements that
>design, and the more opportunities there are to improve mind by improving
>the implementation (never mind actually *improving the design*!) I think that

Complexity = capability? I don't think so. Now, I'm not talking AI here
but, I've found that a simple well architected system usually outperforms a
large complex system. Excessive complexity usually arises from a lack of
true understanding of the problem domain. Maybe this doesn't apply to AI,
but it applies to most (everything?) else I'm aware of.

Plus, very complex systems are much more difficult to produce and almost
always contain many more bugs. Considering the tenets of FAI the potential
for bugs that could cause the system to stray (and thus possibly not remain
"Friendly") worries me considerably, especially in a very complex system.

James Higgins