RE: How hard a Singularity?

From: Ben Goertzel (ben@goertzel.org)
Date: Sun Jun 23 2002 - 09:59:48 MDT

Eli,

Your reasoning here is fine, but is predicated on your expectations as to
the "overall shape of the curve" -- most specifically, on your expectation
as to the *exponent* in the exponential growth curve of AI intelligence. Of
course, if you assume an exponential pattern with an aggressive exponent,
you will arrive at a very fast transition from human-level intelligence to
vastly superhuman-level intelligence. I don't doubt the general exponential
growth pattern, but I wonder about the size of the exponent, and I suspect
there will be some significant plateaus along the way too....

Also, the assumption that "AI development took a century or more" is not so
unrealistic, depending on how you define your terms. It was way back in the
1930's when Norbert Wiener published his book on Cybernetics, containing
some rudimentary ideas on AI design, for example.

-- Ben G