RE: How hard a Singularity?

From: Ben Goertzel (ben@goertzel.org)
Date: Sat Jun 22 2002 - 21:07:07 MDT

Michael,

I agree that improved memory, the lack of need for sleep, improved access to
canned facts, and the ability to self-modify WILL make a human-level AGI
capable of "creating bounds and leaps of technology."

However, the "how hard" question is one of extent. How big are the bounds
and leaps per unit time going to be, at the point on the intelligence curve
that is near-human-intelligence? The general ideas you cite do not give us
a quantitative estimate; they don't let us tell whether the step from
human-level to vastly superhuman level intelligence will be 3 weeks or 8
years.

-- Ben G