Re: How hard a Singularity?

From: Michael Roy Ames (michaelroyames@hotmail.com)
Date: Sat Jun 22 2002 - 13:39:01 MDT

On Saturday, June 22, 2002 6:13 AM - Eugen Leitl wrote:

> On Sat, 22 Jun 2002, Eliezer S. Yudkowsky wrote:
>
> > > Considerable leverage is available to people to inhibit the kinetics
> > > of early stages via legacy methods.
> >
> > Name EVEN ONE method.
>
> Isn't it quite obvious? Laws and their enforcement.

While Laws do inhibit some citizens from breaking them, and laws do
specify/limit punishments for crimes, Laws do not *prevent* anybody from
doing anything. It may have escaped your notice, but laws that *already*
exist legislate against the vast majority of negative effects an SI-gone-bad
might have.

Unless you, Eugen Leitl, are suggesting we start legislating *thought*.

Or perhaps just non-biological thought?

Don't go there.

Michael Roy Ames
Ottawa, Canada