Darpa cognitive systems [was Re: How Kurzweil lost the Singularity]

From: Stephen Reed (reed@cyc.com)
Date: Thu Jun 20 2002 - 08:16:31 MDT

On Wed, 19 Jun 2002, Max More wrote:

> On a more positive note, someone looking for funding might be interested in
> this:
>
> DARPA ANNOUNCES RESEARCH INITIATIVE IN COGNITIVE SYSTEMS
>
> The Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency (DARPA) today announced a new
> research initiative in the field of cognitive systems, releasing a Broad
> Agency Announcement (BAA) seeking innovative research proposals.
>
> The DARPA Cognitive Information Processing Technology Initiative will
> develop the next generation of computational systems with radically new
> capabilities. "Cognitive systems" will demonstrate levels of autonomy and
> reasoning far beyond those of today's systems. With the ability to reason,
> learn and adapt, and with facilities for self-awareness, these will
> literally be systems that know what they're doing.
> http://www.darpa.mil/body/NewsItems/pdf/iptorelease.pdf

Wow. I am circulating the BAA info this morning at Cycorp. Now I have a
potential funding source for the AGI road-map that I have outlining for
Cyc.

-Steve

Stephen L. Reed                  phone:  512.342.4036
Cycorp, Suite 100                  fax:  512.342.4040
3721 Executive Center Drive      email:  reed@cyc.com
Austin, TX 78731                   web:  http://www.cyc.com
         download OpenCyc at http://www.opencyc.org