Re: A Value System

From: Gordon Worley (redbird@rbisland.cx)
Date: Tue Jun 18 2002 - 12:40:29 MDT

On Tuesday, June 18, 2002, at 02:12 PM, Dani Eder wrote:

> For example, it is easy to value a bus
> full of people more than the life of one
> suicide bomber, and thus decide kill the
> bomber.
>
> Now consider the question of a suicide bomber
> who has infiltrated the Louvre museum. Do you
> kill a human to save a lot of unique artwork?

Well...

The suicide bomber was going to die anyway, so we're just helping him
out in some sense to kill him (albeit we've short circuited his reason
for dying).

So, reconstruct those situations, only rather than a bomb it's going to
be a deadly Kill-O-Zap gun welded to his hand (so you can't just knock
it out of his hand). And this is a multi zap model, so he can destroy a
whole building in a few seconds. Do you use your own Kill-O-Zap gun to
stop him, or let him use his?

--
Gordon Worley                     `When I use a word,' Humpty Dumpty
http://www.rbisland.cx/            said, `it means just what I choose