Re: On wisdom

From: F Baube (fbaube@welho.com)
Date: Mon Jun 17 2002 - 03:45:08 MDT

lurkmode := off

> How about the following set of definitions:
>
> 1. Information - undefined, to be treated as a primitive concept here.
>
> 2. Knowledge - information describing a true, predictive mapping between
> actions and their results.
>
> 3. Intelligence - the ability to process information to produce knowledge.

In "The Rise of the Network Society", page 17,
Manuel Castells settles on these two definitions:

"Information is data that has been organized and communicated."

        -- Marc Porat, 1977

"Knowledge is a set of organized statements of facts or ideas, presenting
 a reasoned judgment or an experimental results, which is transmitted to
 others through some commnication medium in some systematic form. Thus,
 I distinguish knowledge from news and entertainment."

        -- Daniel Bell, 1973

hth,

fred baube

--