Re: Threats to the Singularity.

From: Michael Roy Ames (michaelroyames@hotmail.com)
Date: Sun Jun 16 2002 - 22:46:06 MDT

> Gordon writes
>
> > First off, attachment to humanity is a bias that prevents rational
> > thought.

I would have to disagree. There is a concept in psychology called
compartmentalization that works remarkably well to isolate a certain 'line
of thought' from consideration. Often compartmentalization has a negative
connotation, but it has been effectively used by many people (including me)
to enable rational thinking in difficult situations. It is a mental 'trick'
that comes easily to some, is next-to impossible for others, and in a few
people, causes emotional difficulties when they can't stop doing it.

One of the reasons that I can believe Eliezer Yudkowsky when he says he had
'reprogrammed' himself to think a certain way is because I've done it myself
(although to a lesser extent). Compartmentalization is one way of
temporarily ignoring some things, and concentrating on other things -
seemingly without effort. Try it, Gordon... but not too much, eh?

Michael Roy Ames
Ottawa, Canada.