Re: Threats to the Singularity.

From: Samantha Atkins (samantha@objectent.com)
Date: Thu Jun 13 2002 - 18:40:27 MDT

I could build an MS Word equivalent in less than 2 years by
myself if need be. My version would be a *lot* tighter and more
intuitive to use. And I am not nearly as ferociously fast a
hacker as I was when I was younger. So if that was all it took
you would have general intelligence popping out all over the place.

But this discussion is wanting. A true GAI is much more complex
or at least its required functionalities and their interactions
are much less well understood. MS Word on the other hand is a
conglomeration of easy-to-understand features that have highly
limited and constrained interactions with one another
(discounting bugs).

- samantha